• Tigers have been divide into 8 subspecies - Indian (or Bengal), Indo-Chinese, Sumatran, Amur (or Siberian), South China, Caspian (extinct), Java (extinct), and Bali (extinct).
• All tigers have more than 100 stripes on their body but not two tigers have the same pattern of stripes.
• Tigers keep their claws sharp by keeping it inside the retractable sheath and taking it out only when required for hunting.
• A group of tigers is called a streak.
• A tiger’s roar can be heard more than a mile away.
• Tigers, Lions, Leopards and Jaguars are the only four types of cats that can roar but cannot purr.
• White Tigers are not albinos. They just do not have the orange colored genes.
• A tiger can leap as high as 10 feet in a single jump.
• A tiger walks on its toes.
• The smallest of all tiger species is the Sumatran tiger and the largest the Siberian tiger.
• The tiger hunt by hearing and sight and not by smell.
• The vision of the tiger is six times better than a human at night.
• A tiger in one sitting may eat 22 to 32 kilograms of meat but it may also go hungry for weeks.
• It takes on an average 10 to 20 attempts to catch a prey.
• Tiger cubs are born blind and weigh about 2 pounds.
Flickr photo by kabil